Hello, friends and acquaintances! Sorry for the posting delay. Things have been very busy lately. This will be a short post.
- My new teen-targeted nonfiction book about apocalyptic pop culture — The End: 50 Apocalyptic Visions From Pop Culture That You Should Know About…before it’s too late is OUT NOW! Hurray. Go buy it here. It’s not just for kids, either; adult doomsday buffs will LOVE this book. I promise!
- I’ve written a few fun things recently. Last Friday on Salon.com, I wrote about Madonna’s bizarre recent “MDNA” tour antics. I explored whether she is, indeed, crazy, or if it’s just the same old same old provocation shtick she’s been doing, well, forever. On Huffington Post I wrote about the gender gap in apocalyptic cultural works. Read it here. And in the next few days, a piece I wrote about my teenage obsession with summer camp will go up on WomanZine, so keep your eyes peeled for that.
- There’s an interview with me over on the Zest Books blog.
- I’ll be reading from Madonna & Me with Susan Shapiro and Wendy Shanker on August 16 at Barnes & Noble in West Bloomfield, Michigan (outside Detroit). Come see us! 7 – 9pm EST.
Hope everyone is having a nice summer! Bye for now.
Hello there, beloved fans! Just kidding — I don’t know if anyone actually reads this, but I wanted to update you, my invisible friends, with a few important items of note.
- The following night at 7 pm, I’ll be reading from Madonna & Me with Susan Shapiro, Emily Nussbaum, Dana Rossi, and Colleen Kane at one of my very favorite bookstores: St. Marks Bookshop! The event starts at 7 pm. I have many fond memories of browsing their impeccably stocked shelves when I lived in New York, especially when I lived right around the corner on 9th St. and 2nd Avenue, circa 2003/2004; their magazine racks were my personal vision of heaven. I’m thrilled to read there — it’s been a neighborhood staple since 1977 and so many esteemed writers have read and/or frequented the place.
- And last but not least, on Friday, May 25 I’ll be reading with contribs Kelly Keenan Trumpbour and Maria Raha at Baltimore’s Atomic Books. We will be “sharing” the event with author Michael Fournier, who will be reading from his new novel Hidden Wheel. Very excited! I haven’t visited Atomic before, but growing up in DC, I’ve been hearing great things about it for years.
- In other news, as a recently jobless person, I’m looking for new writing & editing projects to take on! Yes! This means if you have leads, you should please email me (laura at laurabarcella dot com).
- And please “like” Madonna & Me on Facebook here, and buy it-then-write-an-Amazon-review here, and follow it on Twitter here, and follow yours truly on Twitter here. Thanks, and bye for now…
It’s been an ultra-hectic month for me. I returned to San Francisco from the Madonna & Me tour (see pix here) and promptly lost my day job. So yeah — it’s been a bit of a chaotic whirlwind over here.
Back to Madonna & Me… At the end of March, my friend Marisa helped me plan (and throw) a fun launch party at SF’s Cat Club (including a reading with contributors Kelly Keenan Trumpbour and Marisela Huerta). And at the beginning of April, I did a reading at L.A.’s famed Book Soup bookstore (again with my trusty contributors Kelly and Marisela). It was great. I was so excited to check out Book Soup — some of my favorite writers have read their work there, and I felt really proud and happy to join their ranks.
The book has been getting more press accolades. Hurrah! This NY1 news segment — from our March “Soundtrack Series” event in NYC — is probably my favorite. This video clip is fun too — it features yours truly talking about, uh, my “very first time.” Yes, that kind of first time. Check out what BUST mag has to say about the book here. And look at the HelloGiggles review here.
I’m heading back to NYC in May for another reading at one of my favorite bookstores: St. Marks Bookshop on 5/23. I’ll be reading there with Susan Shapiro, Emily Nussbaum, Dana Rossi, and Colleen Kane. And on 5/25 I have another reading at Atomic Books in Baltimore (with Kelly Keenan Trumpbour and another reader TBD). Should be awesome.
Stay tuned! I will try to be better about posting in this thing; I know you’re all simply DYING for more bloggy goodness.