Hello, friends and acquaintances! Sorry for the posting delay. Things have been very busy lately. This will be a short post.
- My new teen-targeted nonfiction book about apocalyptic pop culture — The End: 50 Apocalyptic Visions From Pop Culture That You Should Know About…before it’s too late is OUT NOW! Hurray. Go buy it here. It’s not just for kids, either; adult doomsday buffs will LOVE this book. I promise!
- I’ve written a few fun things recently. Last Friday on Salon.com, I wrote about Madonna’s bizarre recent “MDNA” tour antics. I explored whether she is, indeed, crazy, or if it’s just the same old same old provocation shtick she’s been doing, well, forever. On Huffington Post I wrote about the gender gap in apocalyptic cultural works. Read it here. And in the next few days, a piece I wrote about my teenage obsession with summer camp will go up on WomanZine, so keep your eyes peeled for that.
- There’s an interview with me over on the Zest Books blog.
- I’ll be reading from Madonna & Me with Susan Shapiro and Wendy Shanker on August 16 at Barnes & Noble in West Bloomfield, Michigan (outside Detroit). Come see us! 7 – 9pm EST.
Hope everyone is having a nice summer! Bye for now.
OMG, there’s just so much to discuss right now.
1. Madonna & Me is officially OUT! It’s published! It lives! It’s on shelves! It’s on the Internet! It’s (hopefully) on your bookshelf or your Kindle! You get my point. The book hath been published. Go buy it right now. You will love it, I promise.
2. HuffPost Women had a huge Madonna & Me spread on its front page yesterday! It was super-exciting. They ran a slightly modified version of my essay from the book, as well as a slideshow of cute “Madonna-fied” images of kids dressed up like Madonna (reprinted from the Madonna & Me website). Yay all around! Go read my HuffPo essay here, and leave a comment if you’re feeling generous.
3. Today I was interviewed for this cool website 12 Questions. I talked about a bunch of random stuff, like movies and books and what I want my headstone to read when I die. You will find that Q&A right here.
4. If you are one of the lucky few to have already read Madonna & Me, will you consider making me exceptionally happy by writing a customer review of the book on Amazon? It would mean the world to me. Thank you!
5. The San Francisco launch party for Madonna & Me is going to be INSANELY FUN! It’s happening on March 29 at the Cat Club in SF. There will be three contributors (Wendy Tokunaga, Kelly Keenan Trumpbour, and Marisela Huerta) reading from the book from 8-9, and then hours and hours of dancing to ’80s and Madonna music. The reading will be part of the club’s themed Madonna Night, and there will be giveaways, plus copies of the book for sale. Plus lots of sweaty, cute Madonna-lovers dancing their asses off. And I’ll even be there, live and in person, wearing something lacy and neon. If you live in SF, please come check it out!
6. Because it’s finally out, Madonna & Me has been getting more press lately — check it out here. Some highlights were a mention in ELLE magazine and a glowing review in Library Journal!
The Madonna & Me machine (um, that would be me) is in overdrive right now, because the book is coming out in just 2 weeks! It’s already shipping from Amazon, so go ahead and order your copy NOW, dammit.
A few things to note… I will be reading my essay from Madonna & Me tonight at Literary Death Match in SF. If you’re in the Bay Area, you should come out!
And please check out Tara Hanks’ great review of Madonna & Me over at For Books’ Sake. We like.
Also, please RSVP for the upcoming NYC Madonna & Me reading on 3/22. It’s part of Soundtrack Series, an awesome monthly lit event where writers tell stories about their favorite songs.
You can also RSVP here for the DC reading at Busboys & Poets on 3/27.
Some of you already know this, but I recently launched a Tumblr for Madonna & Me. It’s for fun random stuff: Madonna photos, quotes, and news about the book (duh). We’ve also got some really bright, fun animated Madonna GIFs made by my talented media-maven friend Marisa. And the Tumblr is open for submissions, so please feel free to submit your own Madonna-centric thoughts and stories! Do it now! You know you want to!
In other news, I couldn’t possibly have been a bigger fan of Madonna’s half-time performance at the Super Bowl. You? It was so smooth and seamless — she looked incredible and her performance was pretty much flawless, IMHO. I didn’t understand all the nitpicky commentary out there, but I guess haters will always hate, yeah? Now check out my piece for The Frisky about why Madge was a perfect Super Bowl pick!
And here’s yet another reminder: go and buy Madonna & Me pronto. It’s about to sell out on Amazon! And it’s shipping now, so if you order it today you will get it in the mail supersoon. EXCITE. More soon…
I just turned in the first draft of Madonna and Me to my editor. SO EXCITED. I think it’s in good shape and hopefully she will love it as much as I do. It’s long!
That’s really all I want to say at the moment, so… more to come when I’m less exhausted.