Hello, friends and acquaintances! Sorry for the posting delay. Things have been very busy lately. This will be a short post.
- My new teen-targeted nonfiction book about apocalyptic pop culture — The End: 50 Apocalyptic Visions From Pop Culture That You Should Know About…before it’s too late is OUT NOW! Hurray. Go buy it here. It’s not just for kids, either; adult doomsday buffs will LOVE this book. I promise!
- I’ve written a few fun things recently. Last Friday on Salon.com, I wrote about Madonna’s bizarre recent “MDNA” tour antics. I explored whether she is, indeed, crazy, or if it’s just the same old same old provocation shtick she’s been doing, well, forever. On Huffington Post I wrote about the gender gap in apocalyptic cultural works. Read it here. And in the next few days, a piece I wrote about my teenage obsession with summer camp will go up on WomanZine, so keep your eyes peeled for that.
- There’s an interview with me over on the Zest Books blog.
- I’ll be reading from Madonna & Me with Susan Shapiro and Wendy Shanker on August 16 at Barnes & Noble in West Bloomfield, Michigan (outside Detroit). Come see us! 7 – 9pm EST.
Hope everyone is having a nice summer! Bye for now.
OMG, there’s just so much to discuss right now.
1. Madonna & Me is officially OUT! It’s published! It lives! It’s on shelves! It’s on the Internet! It’s (hopefully) on your bookshelf or your Kindle! You get my point. The book hath been published. Go buy it right now. You will love it, I promise.
2. HuffPost Women had a huge Madonna & Me spread on its front page yesterday! It was super-exciting. They ran a slightly modified version of my essay from the book, as well as a slideshow of cute “Madonna-fied” images of kids dressed up like Madonna (reprinted from the Madonna & Me website). Yay all around! Go read my HuffPo essay here, and leave a comment if you’re feeling generous.
3. Today I was interviewed for this cool website 12 Questions. I talked about a bunch of random stuff, like movies and books and what I want my headstone to read when I die. You will find that Q&A right here.
4. If you are one of the lucky few to have already read Madonna & Me, will you consider making me exceptionally happy by writing a customer review of the book on Amazon? It would mean the world to me. Thank you!
5. The San Francisco launch party for Madonna & Me is going to be INSANELY FUN! It’s happening on March 29 at the Cat Club in SF. There will be three contributors (Wendy Tokunaga, Kelly Keenan Trumpbour, and Marisela Huerta) reading from the book from 8-9, and then hours and hours of dancing to ’80s and Madonna music. The reading will be part of the club’s themed Madonna Night, and there will be giveaways, plus copies of the book for sale. Plus lots of sweaty, cute Madonna-lovers dancing their asses off. And I’ll even be there, live and in person, wearing something lacy and neon. If you live in SF, please come check it out!
6. Because it’s finally out, Madonna & Me has been getting more press lately — check it out here. Some highlights were a mention in ELLE magazine and a glowing review in Library Journal!
I just turned in the first draft of Madonna and Me to my editor. SO EXCITED. I think it’s in good shape and hopefully she will love it as much as I do. It’s long!
That’s really all I want to say at the moment, so… more to come when I’m less exhausted.
I created a new Twitter account for the ‘Madonna and Me’ book!
Please check it out and follow me. I’m posting updates about the book, as well as daily Madonna quotes (there are tons where those came from) and bits of random news on the Madgester.
I recently posted the list of contributors for “Madonna and Me” on the book’s website. Check it out, and then leave your feedback here. What do you think?
Personally? I’m psyched. It’s a great roster of writers — both established and up-and-coming talent. Yay.
More info to come both here and at MadonnaAndMeBook.com. Stay tuned…