Happy holidaze, you guys.
I’m crazy busy working on two book projects at the moment, but I’ve been trying to squeeze in as much freelance writing as I can, too, because HUSTLE. Here’s some fun stuff I’ve written lately:
– “My Dark, Twisted Online Relationship” (COSMOPOLITAN mag — print only — Jan. 2015 issue! Go buy it right this second!)
– The Year in Reproductive Rights (check out all the crazy comments! Good fun.)
– Feminist Vampire Movies R Us
– James Deen on Why Porn Stars Shouldn’t Have to Wear Condoms
– Your Very Own Holiday Tipping Primer, Because None of Us Really Know WTF We’re Doing When It Comes to Tipping, Right?
– I’m a Survivor of Domestic Abuse, and I’m a Dude
– Men Check Out My Dog More Than Me (Sadface)
Sorry for the long absence. Happy almost-February. Good things are happening over here. January has turned out to be an excellent month in terms of freelance assignments, and I think/hope it’s just a sign of the awesomeness to come in 2013. I’m working on some fun pieces for magazines I’ve always wanted to break into. Fingers crossed it’ll all go off without a hitch. Stay tuned for more details to come…
I’m also working on a proposal for a new book I want to write — I’m super-psyched about that prospective project, but want to keep mum on the details for now. Hopefully there will be news I can share around that, too, sometime in the not-too-distant future.
- I’m moving back to NYC (Brooklyn, obvs) this spring! I left NY for SF back in 2005, and though I love the Bay Area, it’s just really really… FAR. I.e. far from my roots and my family & friends. I feel ready to be back on the East Coast again, at least for a while; who knows where I’ll end up in the long run.
- I wrote a piece for Cosmopolitan magazine that was supposed to come out this month, but was held (sad-face) for a future issue. I’ll let you know when it comes out.
- My apocalyptic pop-culture book, The End: 50 Apocalyptic Visions From Pop Culture That You Should Know About…Before It’s Too Late, got nominated for a “Quick Pick for Reluctant Readers” by the American Library Association! Very cool.
- I wrote this essay about my sugar addiction for The Fix. It got picked up by Salon, which always thrills me.
- Back in August I wrote this piece about FOMO (“fear of missing out”) for TheFix. Then I wrote about sober friendships for them.
- Wrote this piece about awesome female journalists for VitaminW.
That’s about it for now. More soon…
Hello, friends and acquaintances! Sorry for the posting delay. Things have been very busy lately. This will be a short post.
- My new teen-targeted nonfiction book about apocalyptic pop culture — The End: 50 Apocalyptic Visions From Pop Culture That You Should Know About…before it’s too late is OUT NOW! Hurray. Go buy it here. It’s not just for kids, either; adult doomsday buffs will LOVE this book. I promise!
- I’ve written a few fun things recently. Last Friday on Salon.com, I wrote about Madonna’s bizarre recent “MDNA” tour antics. I explored whether she is, indeed, crazy, or if it’s just the same old same old provocation shtick she’s been doing, well, forever. On Huffington Post I wrote about the gender gap in apocalyptic cultural works. Read it here. And in the next few days, a piece I wrote about my teenage obsession with summer camp will go up on WomanZine, so keep your eyes peeled for that.
- There’s an interview with me over on the Zest Books blog.
- I’ll be reading from Madonna & Me with Susan Shapiro and Wendy Shanker on August 16 at Barnes & Noble in West Bloomfield, Michigan (outside Detroit). Come see us! 7 – 9pm EST.
Hope everyone is having a nice summer! Bye for now.
The Madonna & Me machine (um, that would be me) is in overdrive right now, because the book is coming out in just 2 weeks! It’s already shipping from Amazon, so go ahead and order your copy NOW, dammit.
A few things to note… I will be reading my essay from Madonna & Me tonight at Literary Death Match in SF. If you’re in the Bay Area, you should come out!
And please check out Tara Hanks’ great review of Madonna & Me over at For Books’ Sake. We like.
Also, please RSVP for the upcoming NYC Madonna & Me reading on 3/22. It’s part of Soundtrack Series, an awesome monthly lit event where writers tell stories about their favorite songs.
You can also RSVP here for the DC reading at Busboys & Poets on 3/27.
Some of you already know this, but I recently launched a Tumblr for Madonna & Me. It’s for fun random stuff: Madonna photos, quotes, and news about the book (duh). We’ve also got some really bright, fun animated Madonna GIFs made by my talented media-maven friend Marisa. And the Tumblr is open for submissions, so please feel free to submit your own Madonna-centric thoughts and stories! Do it now! You know you want to!
In other news, I couldn’t possibly have been a bigger fan of Madonna’s half-time performance at the Super Bowl. You? It was so smooth and seamless — she looked incredible and her performance was pretty much flawless, IMHO. I didn’t understand all the nitpicky commentary out there, but I guess haters will always hate, yeah? Now check out my piece for The Frisky about why Madge was a perfect Super Bowl pick!
And here’s yet another reminder: go and buy Madonna & Me pronto. It’s about to sell out on Amazon! And it’s shipping now, so if you order it today you will get it in the mail supersoon. EXCITE. More soon…